One question that we get often is .. What do I need to get a good workout from home?..
This is a bit of a tricky question as it depends on a lot of factors and goals.
- Are you looking to build muscle? Lose fat? Both?
- How much space do you have for equipment?
- What is your budget?
- You will need to measure your space to determine what items can fit in the area. You will want to keep in mind that you will also need space to perform your workout. Height is usually an issue in basements unless you have really high ceilings. Some equipment is just too tall for some basements. In addition if you are looking to use weights over head while standing , this could be dangerous with close clearances.
- If you are looking to get a good overall workout using weights , then we suggest some of the basics and some not so basic options.
- Weight Benches
- Suggestions are a good adjustable bench so you can perform various exercises. If your budget allows , we would suggest a leg extension and preacher attachment for these benches. If safety is a concern you can look at machines or free weight benches that have safety spotter bars that protect you if the bar drops.
- Here we suggest a weight set and bar combination. There are many to choose from and you can get the amount you think you will nee to start with, you can always get more weights as you get stronger. Bumper plates are a nice option as they can save on the noise of weights dropping.
- A good set of dumbbells will be needed to perform various exercises such as bicep curls, extensions and many more,
- Smith Machines
- If you have the space and budget these are a good option and can improve safety , especially if you workout alone.
- Total Gyms
- Here again these are great all in one options if you have the space and budget
- Cardio Suggestions
- These take minimal space and provide great fat burning and cardio benefits
- Various models to choose from if you prefer walking or running.
- Cheaper Options
- BodyWeight Equipment
- These items give you a good workout without the weights
- Slam Balls , Wall Balls , Kettlebells
- These allow you to perform many different movements for the whole body. These provide a different type of training than your traditional weight plates and engage the core and other stabilizer muscles.
- From rope training, to stability balls. There are many out of the box items that allow you to train in ways you never imagined.
We at Fitness Gear USA are here to help! Have Questions? Just drop us a line and we will be glad to answer them for you.